Thursday, December 4, 2014

message to Sardis

The message is from “He who has the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars, says this:” The seven stars are representative of the seven angels of the seven churches (Rev 1:20). The seven Spirits of God are explained in Revelation 1:4. They are the seven Spirits who are always before His throne. That doesn't entirely answer the question though, for in Revelation 4:5 it says there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God. So now it would appear the seven Spirits are seven lamps always burning before the throne of God. But what is the significance of the lamps? That, I'm not sure I will know till I see them with my own eyes. Two clues, however, are Exodus 25 and Zechariah 4. These again mention a certain style of lampstand...one is a command to Moses to build it for the temple and the other is a vision to the prophet. Read them yourself to come to your own conclusion. I'm sure they are representative of something, but what exactly I cannot discover.

Regardless, it substantiates the next thing the Speaker says, “I know your deeds, that you have a name that you are alive...” He knows. He has the power and authority to absolutely know...something none of us have unless we merely repeat the truth He has already stated.

“...but you are dead.” The Sardinians had a name that they were alive, but on the inside they were dead, and it is the inside of a man that the Lord sees. The word dead is obviously figurative here (continue reading if you don't believe me)...this church acted alive. They did and said all the right things, but none of it was true to the individuals who said/did it. The were the “Sunday-Christians” of today. Christian in name only.

The admonishment is to “Wake up, and strengthen the things that remain, which were about to die; for I have not found your deeds completed in the sight of My God. Remember therefore what you have received and heard; and keep it, and repent.” Their plight was not hopeless yet. If there were to realize the state they were in and choose to remember what they have received and heard (ie the gospel), and keep it, and repent...there was hope. Just a little side note, “keep” and “repent” are both imperative verb forms; they are commands.

“If therefore you will not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come upon you.” If the commands to remember, keep, and repent, are not obeyed there is a consequence. The Lord will return the second time, and they will not be ready (Matt 24:43, Luke 12:35-39).

He still has a promise though, “But you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their garments; and they will walk with Me in white; for they are worthy. He who overcomes shall thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father, and before His angels.” Even in all the nominality there was yet some sincerity, and He recognized it. Don't despair, anyone who is discouraged and feeling helpless at the fakeness of today's Churchianity (cause it's certainly not Christianity). Continue to be faithful and the Lord will not overlook it.

“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” Another side note, “hear” is also an imperative.

No comments:

Post a Comment