Tuesday, November 25, 2014

message to Ephesus

Our pastor is doing a series on the Tribulation, and it sparked an interest to read Revelation again. I had a phenomenal college teacher (Dr. Paul Benware) who taught Daniel and Revelation in just two weeks. It was a little crammed pack, so I figured it was about time to go over it again. Yesterday, I wrote about the description of the risen Lord in Revelation 1. John's mission, in a way, was to "Write the things which you have seen [the description of Christ], and the things which are [the seven churches], and the things which shall take place after these things [the 70th week]." I believe the churches here represent seven basic spiritual conditions of churches in any age.

Ephesus: Revelation 2:1-7

The passage begins, "the One who holds the seven stars in His right hand, the One who walks among the seven golden lampstands," -- He holds the seven angels of the churches in His right hand and walks among the seven churches (Rev 1:20).

He gives a praise: "I know your deeds and your toil and perseverance, and that you cannot endure evil men, and you put to the test those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and you found them to be false; and you have perseverance and have endured for My name's sake, and have not grown weary." In other words, this church had the works part of salvation down pat. They knew and taught solid doctrine. They were steadfast in their beliefs and could determine true teachers from false...but...

He condemns them. "I have this against you, that you have left you first love." Do you remember the first time you fell in love? It was a thrill! It was so exciting you couldn't hold your tongue; you wanted to tell the world how amazing this person was... You watched this person, studied them, made time to spend with them. You'd never neglect to talk to them until something went wrong, never have to busy a schedule to hang out with them...but we do for our own Savior, the King of kings wants to spend time with us and we're too busy. Come on, people...

And then there's an encouragement. "Remember therefore from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first; or else I am coming to you, and will remove your lampstand out of its place -- unless you repent." It's not too late. (I'm encouraging myself here as much as y'all, mind.) Make time to remember how it was when you first knew Jesus. Routine doesn't show love to anyone, even God who can read your heart. Knowledge doesn't equate to love. Knowing about someone doesn't mean you know them.

Finally, He says "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." There's always a difference between hearing and listening. "To him who overcomes, I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God." The overcomer is from a word that means to conquer or prevail. It could be both positional and practical: positionally for all Christians, practically for the victorious Christian. Either way, faithful believers will be rewarded.

How do you show someone you love them? Are you showing Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment